Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Musafir hoon yaaron!


Aren't cities like people. You can never know them well enough 


Am back from my vacations.
After a month long time, I am walking on a street without maps…This same city that I have been introducing as my ‘home’ lately.
As I landed back late at night the other day… I just observed the streets around changed their names from long German words ending with ‘hoff/ berg/per’ to short Chinese ‘ng/ho/tin’.

I just observed myself spotting the familiar spots on way back to home and the little stories I have about them.
Oh… that’s my bus stop! That’s the Starbucks corner where I watch the smokers every morning enjoying caffeine with nicotine and thank God for protecting me from such self- destruction.

That’s the Chinese restaurant that smells of Basmati rice from the road.  I always thought that I’ll get Curry-Rice here until I checked that the only vegetarian item they have is bread-toast.

That’s the over-crowded ATM machine that I never get to use…None around here because the machine is out of order today.

That’s the taxi stand where tourists with heavy luggage queue up for airport transfers at hotel check out times.

The hoarding at the back by HSBC wishing Christmas is replaced by Chinese New year wishes by Citi Bank.

And here comes the street name registered in my sub conscious that I write under my name in Bank papers, Registry, utility bill payments- as my address. I had taken a bit long to remove ‘Mumbai’ from it.

What separates a resident from a tourist?
The map-lessness? The conversancy? The years spent? The ID card? The Continuance?

Or, nothing....

1 comment:

  1. The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one’s own country as a foreign land. ~G.K. Chesterton

    The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. ~ Albert Einstein

    ReplyDelete