Monday, November 17, 2014

First day at the Hospital


Never miss an opportunity to write even if it means writing at the same table where your urine sample lies and, on the rear side of printed medical record showing the series of suspected bacterial attacks your body is undergoing; or, even if you are lying between a century old woman with the tag of  ‘visual/hearing impairment’ on her bed and the other young girl with numerous pipes thrust in her mouth and tagged ‘nil by mouth’.

This woman with impairment is staring at me while am writing. (People with infections don't write?) When I look back at her, her wrinkled face pops up a toothless smile while she is making some gestures watching me write at this unusual moment and the most unusual but the only table I can reach from my bed. 

Probably I had never been so superstitious until I came to Hong Kong and more so until I attended the basic Cantonese Course where I learnt about the Hongkongese (Yes it is a word now) beliefs. Especially about being paranoid about no. 4 or 14. And guess what, wherever I go, I attract this number. Be it the number I randomly pick up while at the cultural session with the Chinese Astrologer (where they say the nature of the no. decides your future) or am allotted a ticket number for a take away order. 

And, right! you don’t need to guess. Out of several hundreds of beds in the hospitals, I am lying down on the bed no. 14!


P.S. So what so you call it when all the incidents in your life are co-incidences!

P.P.S. Ye sab aakhir mere saath hi kyun hota hai!!

P.P.P.S. The date I got operated was "Fourteenth" too!



1 comment:

  1. A hospital bed is a parked taxi with the meter running.
    ~ Groucho Marx

    ReplyDelete