Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Acting Opposite to Your Emotion

I live to eat. So when I don’t feel like eating, I know I am in deep sh!t. I have started to mold back in my earlier shape after Mom has left- irritated, grumpy, impatient, annoyed and resource-less. See…at least I am honest in describing myself.

"I have not been meeting friends or going out. I just stay at home. All alone. Best part is, I am not scratching others with my eccentricity."
This is exactly where I am wrong.

I read somewhere that we act consistent with how we feel. We behave according to our mood and try to justify our attempt. For example, if I am fussy about something, I stay at home and remain fussy. Unfortunately which, consequently increases our depression. So the key is to act opposite to your emotion. So if the natural reaction is to concentrate on your failures and worthlessness, the opposite action has to be to treat yourself with love and kindness.

I was happy in the morning because I could fit in the pink skirt I bought from the sale and then cranky because my landlord threatened to increase the rent and hence the day went for a toss until I reminded myself of reversing my mood. So I went out, bought flowers from the old man on the street from whom none buys, complimented a stranger in the lift for wearing a beautiful perfume and another woman for her hair cut. This is the beautiful thing about compliments- they please the receiver as well as donor equally. Result- I am happy again. 

So I guess it’s time to eat!!






P.S. There is no such thing as 'complimenting men'. Everything else is an ego massage. 

2 comments:

  1. “The appearance of things changes according to the emotions; and thus we see magic and beauty in them, while the magic and beauty are really in ourselves.”
    ~ Khalil Gibran, The Broken Wings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your emotions are the slaves to your thoughts, and you are the slave to your emotions.
    ― Elizabeth Gilbert, (Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia)


    I don't want to be at the mercy of my emotions. I want to use them, to enjoy them, and to dominate them.
    ― Oscar Wilde (The Picture of Dorian Gray)

    ReplyDelete