Monday, October 8, 2012

Ten days with family



Today I got up before my alarm. And I didn’t get up from my sleep, but the shock. As the smell of desi ghee parathas that Mom was cooking for me invigorated me, I realized this gala time of extreme pampering and protection is going to be over soon.

I’ll be calling the Dabba wala from Friday onwards for lunch (without asking for the menu), and opening the lunch will remind me how much difference it makes- a dabba packed for business and a dabba packed out of love and care.

Once again, I'll unlock the doors, and not knock when I come back home from work. The stained coffee mug that I left on the bed in the morning will be lying there- dry and untouched. I'll not get food before I cook. All the talking will be via phone, skype and google hangout. No utensils will make noise or windows opened in the morning. And, my weekends will be ruined by sitting and downloading movies and documentaries. No hurrying up to leave work at Six and none waiting for the door bell to ring. 

Well, on a positive side, these ten days have changed my outlook. Each time I’ll see an elderly woman stumbling in the moving bus, I’ll see her as ‘somebody’s mother’ and offer her my seats no matter how heavy my shoulder bag is....Each time I’ll see a confused man trying to figure out what the Cantonese speaking vendor is saying in the wet market, probably I’ll offer a helping hand to that ‘somebody’s father’ with my recently invented sign language......Each time I’ll see a young guy lost in the streets, locating directions, I won’t take a minute to realize that he is 'somebody’s loving brother'.




No comments:

Post a Comment