Tuesday, March 10, 2015

What I learnt at the Operation Theatre


Probably some lessons can be learnt only while being at school. 
And when you cant be sent to one, you are sent to the hospital..where the strict doctors come on 'rounds' to keep a check of your 'performance'; you get assessed by your 'report card' and undergo various surprise 'tests' and you do not really get to choose who sits adjacent to your 'bench'. 

​This hospital lesson has changed my life dramatically. It has carved out a different Me ..which is more unsheathed and coarse. 

People around me are sick of listening to my 'hospital adventures' but I am still not weary of sharing about it. 

Had this episode not occurred to me, I would not have ever been able to learn these two most important lessons- 

The first lesson being:

"I was weaker than I thought I was...."

I saw the body that I always boasted of being phenomenally Punjabi built falling apart within hours. I got to differentiate between 'birthday party attendees' and 'friends'. I saw the sad face of medical facilities in the country I paid taxes to. I saw the 'individualism' that I never got tired of bragging about taking a severe beating. 
I got to peep inside the dark room called the 'society' and it was the filthiest thing man ever created. 

And the second one:

"I was stronger than I thought I was"

I was strong because I didn't crumble after realizing that I was weak. I was strong because I was able to take this weakness as a lesson and move ahead.
I was bold enough to accept the things as it is. I was strong because I promised myself to trust Life again even after seeing its eerie side.
I was strong because I no longer was scared of pain. And since I learnt what pain is, I learnt to respect those fighting with it. I learnt to hope. I learnt to pray. 
I saw that I could surrender and accept what lied ahead of me without a revolt.
I saw that hope was not an illusion. 
I saw the true dimension of friendship and it was more beautiful than any messiah that God ever sent on the planet. 
I saw how much value my life carried. And how much I should be thankful for it. I saw life much longer than I thought and smaller than I think. 
And, what "Love" is.... 

I was strong because I was weak. And that the betrayal of Life taught me how important it was to trust...


2 comments:

  1. Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing. - Voltaire

    ReplyDelete
  2. …… the heart's memory eliminates the bad and magnifies the good, and that thanks to this artifice we manage to endure the burden of the past. ………
    ……..She would defend herself, saying that love, no matter what else it might be, was a natural talent. She would say: You are either born knowing how, or you never know. ~ Gabriel Garcí¬a Márquez, Love in the Time of Cholera)


    Surgery
    What if something goes wrong?
    but... I love you

    What if your career ends forever?
    but... I love you

    What if you die?
    but.... No, you wouldn't do that... Right?
    ~ Alice

    ReplyDelete