Wednesday, December 3, 2014

The Season to look Mad is back




Have you ever made to feel dumb? Like, a friend calls you for a Halloween party and you reach there in your true ‘spirits’ only to realize that you missed reading the announcement that the theme was changed to ‘dress to express’. We all have faced a similar situations in life (just that I face them more frequently).

A similar one what a Hongkonger faces during so called ‘winters’. Coming from Northern India, the word ‘winter’ doesn’t scare me (though it disturbs). And I used to be greatly offended looking at Mumbai people decked up in caps/shawls and gloves if the temperature ever touched 20 C.

Winter arrives in Hong Kong in Cathay. It just lands! And it doesn't take too long for it to clear immigration and hit the city.

Since December started from Monday, I wanted to welcome it by trying to sleep without an Air-Con at night but I couldn’t. And the very next morning, I spent a shivery Tuesday while I went unprepared in a sleeveless dress when it suddenly landed with 12 C.

So last night, I ransacked my winter suitcase and found a cardigan that least smelt of pigs which I wore to work today with 'I-am-good' attitude. And guess what. It was a hot day today! (Yeah! hot and smelly for me).

Because Winter in Hong Kong keeps making small uninformed trips to Macau/ China/ Taiwan making a bigger fool of its residents.

A particular day from the last winters was an epic incident which I never fail to narrate each time anyone asks me ‘how are winters in HK’. This is my reaction-

I left my jacket in office. Next morning, on my way to work, I prayed to all the Gods of all religions (and regions) to save me from getting frozen. It was 4 C with real feel of may be 2 C. I hugged my jacket at 10 am. I started to sweat at 4 pm when it rose to 20 C so I left it again at office; and in the evening, I came back half way to take it back.  

And you’ll always be ‘judged’ on the street wearing a trench coat in 22 C that you decided to wear considering the chilly morning.
The classic question remains unanswered- "should I or should I not". Well, I don't know what to wear tomorrow but I'll make sure to to re-wash my locked winter-wear.

The formula is same- it will rain only when you forget your umbrella. 





P.S. Winter and Summer come by same flight.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhahhh, Ahhhahhh
    We're all alone

    Ahhhahhh, Ahhhahhh
    We're all alone
    We're all alone

    ReplyDelete