Tuesday, September 30, 2014

“Love is not a commitment"


As usual, we met by the sea. I saw her coming from afar. She looked beautiful. 
The new summer breeze danced around the palm trees, rolling over the lamp post and curling around her waist, acting funny.  

I had been meddling with the issues playing and replaying at the back of my mind. So much that I didn't realize when she came.  

Busy chatting with my girlfriend, I almost forgot that she was with me. She has never complained of me ignoring her or taking her for granted.

She never looked so beautiful as she did that night. She looked subtle and yet full of life in her white dress.  Her golden brown hair let loose. The cool breeze played with her hair…falling on her shoulders. Her twinkly eyes shone with the street lights. She looked like a goddess of Love.

We spoke and spoke almost the whole night…about work, families, life, countries and cultures. And she would, as always give the most beautiful view point to all that I thought was fixed. She saw timelessness where I saw limits. She enjoyed the pleasure of confusions wherever I felt nuisance. She indeed has mastered the art that I had not even yet learnt to appreciate. I created philosophies and she skillfully would mend them in beautiful verses.  
Her company seems like the most precious gift I could ever have. I tried holding back myself to express how overwhelmed I always was when she was around. I wanted to hold her and tell her all that I felt for her.

I want to say ‘I Love You’ but I cannot.” I said, hesitatingly.
Her rose petals lips curved for a smile and her starry eyes as if giggled.

You can, she said turning back.
Love is not a commitment. Love is neither restricted to marriage nor a binding relationship of dedication or loyalty.” She said smiling complacently.

Did you just try to ‘specify’/limit/set standards/draw guidelines’ for Love?”
I went speechless.

So just say it…. express, say all that you have, dig yourself deep inside and take out and say everything you have about you loving me”, she said.

Even if I said “I love you”, that would not have been enough for what she had just made me realize. 











P.S. There is no Love.


2 comments:

  1. Unless commitment is made, there are only promises and hopes; but no plans.
    ― Peter F. Drucker

    Without commitment, you cannot have depth in anything, whether it's a relationship, a business or a hobby.
    ― Neil Strauss

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love is not a habit, a commitment, or a debt. It isn't what romantic songs tell us it is - love simply is.~ Paulo Coelho

    Love is a sentiment that drives us to want to commit to someone, but this does not mean that love will always be followed by the will to commit or vice versa.
    In a sense, commitment is a sort of shackle that we want to surround ourselves with driven by a notion that only then love will last.
    True love will transcend commitment and will not, in the long run, allow itself to be restricted by it.

    Between the conception
    And the creation
    Between the emotion
    And the response
    Falls the Shadow
    Life is very long
    ~ T. S. Eliot

    ReplyDelete