Thursday, September 6, 2012

Men after drinking :)

(This article is dedicated to my HK Brother Subro, who suggested me to write about this and my HK friends who became my inspiration- in- ignorance :P )



“What soberness conceals, drunkenness reveals.”

Don't know how far it is true, but they say a man generally won't lie after he is drunk (noteworthy, am being diplomatic when I say, they speak truth).  “A man's true character comes out when he's drunk”, experienced Charlie Chaplin.

Don't know the science behind or if at all there is any. But the probable logic behind is your mind loses its control and your tongue gets directly connected to your heart.
Probably, that’s the time when you don't have to bother with the question running at the background of your mind-why this man is speaking this. All you have to do is to lend your ear to him and just copy all the data without doubting for any virus in it. Just like you have got the access to the shared folder kept at the back of the mind of the person’s subconscious.

Probably alcohol helps us get rid of our apprehensions by making us forget them! Psychologically speaking, men drink to experience the unknown state of their mind. I remember, in my CBSE syllabus, we had a chapter on Dr. Simpson who explained how, in the absence of anaesthesia, the wounded patients were given alcohol before they were operated. Is that why we say we drink during pain or when hurt.

I too have got drunk heavily, but my mind was almost in my control. I never pulled that feeling over my mind- thanks to my inhibitions or the Indian woman mentality.

My earlier memories of ‘too much drinking’ pertain to the time when I was a kid. There was a group of drunkards. A group of men belonging to Himachal Pradesh, Haryana and interior Punjab. They were in the foremen category. They were given khaki uniforms from dad’s office, and used to work in night shifts. Every morning, I used to hear watchman hitting the ground with his lathi, and abusing in the patented Punjabi mother-sister screwing gaalis (the meaning of which I didn’t know then) and then the communication leading to an affray. Those khaki jump suits clad men will be swaying, their eyes closed, talking to themselves and complaining about everyone while trying to fathom which way to go. This is how I used to think all foremen were, until I got to know that it was alcohol speaking out of them.

I narrated this story to emphasise that men behave differently when they are drunk.
At Holi, my favourite Indian festival, it used to be a big fun. But when I was a teenager, we were instructed not to play Holi outside the colony as there will be all drunken men. So, my question is, if a man is a ‘true he’ when drunk, so why will he bother other women/ girls at that time.

I must also mention about our Indian weddings, where (especially in Punjab) offering booze is a status symbol. There, a line could not be drawn between not-so-sober and sober ones. You could see men sitting next to you and talking. A man known for his dumb personality becomes a babble mouthed creature and the other one lends his ear to him. Such agony aunts (I mean uncles) will be sitting on every corner and sharing how agonised they are. The stories of sacrifices, lost love, guilt crippling one’s heart and yes, cheating- aah!!

“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools”, says Ernest Hemingway.
Men sharing greatness of their mothers, men complaining about their fathers, to parentless men, all kind of unite in the ‘I want to express my heart out’ exercise.

The quantity of alcohol getting mixed with the blood is directly proportional to the beauty of the girl sitting opposite to the man J. As in the words of Winston Churchill, “I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”

So, does alcohol uncover the true man inside us or does it make us a different person altogether.
Also, more importantly, men forgetting what they said, shared, unveiled what secrets to whom- in their memory database, no such files exist. It somehow goes for an auto delete.
And, before I end this articles, I must remind- a drunken man will never confess that he is drunk (probably to stress that his words should be trusted).
In any way, let us say-  Cheers!!

P.S. The words described as men are not gender specific. They include women too.

1 comment:

  1. Someone had said, Whiskey is a brilliant invention. One double and you start feeling single again :-)

    well, I drink, may be sometime for fun, sometimes to deludes my minds, sometime to get energies for dance and sometime to mediate and most of the time widout any reason :-)

    btw, Nice draft and I'm going to buy a drink for you this Friday :P

    ReplyDelete