Monday, February 17, 2014

My Birthday


Today is my birthday.
I wasn't born on this day, but re-born.

I turn one year old today.
This day, in the last year. This was the only good thing that happened to me in 2013. While my existence had been dragging me for years, Life picked me up at a stroke of a second.

I learnt Vipassana. I learnt to breathe in. And breathe out. And that there was no use retaining the fumes inside.

I learnt that I was strong. And how much. And my fear was just a sham.
I learnt how petty I was. And how majestically. And how proud I should be of the fact.
I learnt that the Truth wasn’t far behind. I just needed to let it reach me.

It showed me how I was caught in the vicious circle of why and what. It helped me cut my doubts of life and place my trust in the Truth. And to appreciate and love it without ever being doubtful of its reality.

I regard this as my birthday. And guess what. I got a birthday gift too.
Someone trusted me and attended Vipassana at my behest. 

2 comments:

  1. That makes you a Dwija i.e. the "Twice Born".
    Who is a Dwija? .....A Brahmin.
    Who is a Brahmin?.... One who realizes Brahman.
    What is Brahman?...That which is infinite...
    The ultimate goal and Absolute of Hinduism is termed "Brahman". The word comes from the Sanskrit verb root brh, meaning "to grow". Etymologically, the term means "that which grows" (brhati) and "which causes to grow" (brhmayati). In the 'Taittariya Upanishad' II.1, Brahman is described in the following manner: "satyam jnanam anantam brahma", "Brahman is of the nature of truth, knowledge and infinity."
    May you continue to enlighten those whose lives you touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. न जायते म्रयते वा वपिश्चन् नायं कुतिश्चन्न बभूव किश्चत्।
    अजो नत्यः शाश्वतोऽयं पुराणो न हन्यते हन्यमाने शरीरे ॥१८॥

    “na jāyate mriyate vā vipaścin
    nāyaḿ kutaścin na babhūva kaścit
    ajo nityaḥ śāśvato 'yaḿ purāṇo
    na hanyate hanyamāne śarīre” Kaṭha Upaniṣad (I.2.18)

    The intelligent Atman is not born, nor does He die; He did not spring from anything, and nothing sprang from Him; unborn, eternal, everlasting, ancient, He is not slain although the body is slain.

    Help me bow my head in the dust beneath your feet
    Help me submerge all my arrogance in tears.
    I only insult myself aiming for honours,
    While all I achieve is ensnaring myself.

    May I not project myself doing activities that I call mine
    May your intentions bear fruit through my life’s mission,
    I pray to seek utmost bliss with your idol radiant in my mind
    Help me shroud this vain ego of mine by your eternal presence.

    "…………I never say that I will liberate you, you have to work out your own liberation……………..”

    Liberated am I
    In light so radiant amidst this azure sky
    Liberated am I
    In the dust and grass beneath my feet.

    Far beyond the mind and body
    I tend to lose myself.
    Amongst the strains of melody
    I tend to rise myself.

    My salvation exists in the hearts
    Of general plebian
    Belittling sorrows and perils
    In arduous mission.


    In the alter of the world’s master
    Aglow is the sacrificial fire
    My soul, I aspire to offer-
    While seeking salvation.
    This weariness, forgive me oh my Lord
    If ever on my way I do fall back

    This inadequateness, forgive me oh my Lord
    If ever on my way I do look back

    If my delay withers the garland in my prayer salver
    before I can offer them to you -
    That listlessness, forgive me oh my Lord.

    ReplyDelete