Monday, December 3, 2012

An Unusual Morning


Making the decision to have a child is momentous.  It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.  ~Elizabeth Stone.


An early morning call from the family, knowing that in India, it would be wee hours is frightening.

“Hello” said I in scariest voice.
“It is me, Dear” Mom opens up in her just-got-up voice, only to make my heart beat faster.

She esquires if I am fine. My quivering heart cant bear the useless sugar coated words.
“Come to the point, Mom, without creating any preamble please”, I shouted in my dominating first child of the family voice. Realizing she can’t beat around the bush with me, so she cuts the conversation short.
“I dreamt that I was sleeping and your brother wakes me up to tell that you consumed poison and dying”, she explains with a heavy throat, controlling her moisture filled voice on the phone.


I had to laugh so as to pacify her. I did. She felt relieved.
I could feel how a worried mother would feel leaving her insane girl 4000 km away from her.
I knew she'd would ask me to come back home, and she knew I wont.
In India, children are gifted with obeying parents. 


There are two lasting bequests we can give our children.  One is roots.  The other is wings.  ~Hodding Carter, Jr. 


No comments:

Post a Comment