Wednesday, November 8, 2017

15 Things I Learnt by Travelling Alone

In the last 3 months I have traveled more than 32000 km.
“Wanderlust”, “Globetrotter” and “Backpacker” and other similar terms have taken over the internet. Like a community of people who are not happy with their lives and looking for something different. I am not too sure if I am one of them. But I do believe that unless you go through a tearing process of transformation, nothing changes. 

I have been on similar journeys. But there is a different experience when you travel alone. More than just travelling I feel it is more of talking to self and this quality 'Me time'  answers a lot of decade long questions. 

Here are the 10 things I have learnt by travelling alone:

1. I got to see inside as much as I saw outside




2. I found the best travelling partner who thinks, feels and enjoys everything I do- myself




3. I became a better decision maker and a planner and more brave at heart 




4. I met the most creative person in this world- Mother Nature 




5. I became a better listener. I can hear myself say and have learnt to follow my heart.




6. I saw my limits expanding everyday- at staying hungry/thirsty, walking more than 20km a day, carrying my own luggage and being a risk taker.




7. Fear has limits and I defined them.




8. It is possible to live and reach places without internet.






9. Journey is not journey, journey is the destination.





10. I learnt to fly without wings




11. I am not a very bad photographer .






12. Your gut is your GPS. Follow it 



13. Gives you an instant review of what you thought about a place and what you actually found 




14. Helps you learn new cultures and human nature outside your comfort zone




15. I learnt the difference between collection and accumulation.




P.S. All these photos are mine. 


4 comments:

  1. In my local language (Fante) my people say "akyin akyin osin ayin ayin" which means the one who travels to many destinations has much knowledge than the one who claims to be older. And we also say "Travel and see",there's no one school on earth that can teach you many things at the same time than Traveling.
    Enjoy your sojourning!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great words of wisdom and amazing photography....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once you have traveled, the voyage never ends,but is played out over and over again in the quietest chambers.The mind can never break from the journey.- Pat Conroy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. “There is a power
    Unseen, that rules th' illimitable world —
    That guides its motions, from the brightest star
    To the least dust of this sin-tainted mould ;
    While man, who madly deems himself the lord
    Of all, is nought but weakness and dependence.
    This sacred truth, by sure experience taught,
    Thou must have learnt, when, wandering all alone,
    Each bird, each insect, flitting through the sky,
    Was more sufficient for itself than thou.”
    ~ James Thomson



    I am restless-
    I crave of the far and unknown,
    The days pass
    I shift listlessly sometime not even fully aware of-
    [based loosely on a poem by the national poet of India]

    ReplyDelete